In this topic, we will be:
- learning about life in different civilisations around the world 3000 years ago
- learning about life in Ancient Egypt and creating info-posters about them
- learning how and why the pyramids were built
- learning about Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs and writing our names using them
- using books and the internet to research in more detail different aspects of Ancient Egpytian life - including fashion, jobs, games, Pharaohs and religion
- learning about food and farming in Ancient Egypt
- creating savoury meals inspired by Egyptian recipes and ingredients
- reading Secrets of a Sun King by Emma Carroll and writing our own Egyptian adventure stories
- and visiting Bolton Museum
We learnt to write our names in hieroglyphs and drew them on papyrus (tea-stained paper).
We learnt about the types of crops and foods available to the Ancient Egyptians and why the River Nile was so important to them. We then followed recipes to create some Egyptian foods and taste-tested them. We made flatbreads, hummus, salate baladi (salad of the land) and salalet zabadee (an Egyptian version of tzatziki). Everything was delicious but the flatbreads and zabadee were voted the favourites.